Saturday, July 26, 2014

More Side Trips from Cusco

By the time Friday rolled around, Alan and I had seen just about all we needed to see of Cusco. So we went to Maras, a small town about an hour and a half away by colectivo. From there, we took a taxi to neighboring Moray and Salineras.
This red flag indicates that chicha is for sale here. Alan is pumped about trying the stuff, but I can't say I join in his excitement. It's corn beer that's fermented by human saliva. (Un)Fortunately, we didn't see any flags while NOT on a bus, so we haven't had the opportunity to try it yet. 
Moray is known for its circular terraces. When reading about it, I thought there was only one circle of terraces, but there were at least 3. No one is certain why the terraces were built this way, but the strongest theory is that the Quechua people were experimenting with raising various crops at different heights and temperatures; the rumor is that the levels can vary up to 5 degrees!
Terraces at Moray

Another round terrace at Moray

How did those short Quechua people climb these enormous steps between terrace levels while carrying huge sacks of produce on their backs? They're stronger people than I am, that's for sure.
Aesthetically-pleasing steps
Farmland around Moray
Our next stop, Salineras, is known for its salt mines. Streams of salt water run through here, and the pools are built so that when the water evaporates, piles of salt are left behind. This water is so warm and salty. I stuck my hand in it to test the temperature, and had my own personal salt lick until my next hand washing.
Salt pools
Salt crystals
Salty stream
Salt, salt, salt!

No comments:

Post a Comment