Friday, November 4, 2011

Maratea

We took a day off from yard work on Thursday and drove to Maratea, about 45 minutes from the house.

Our hosts left us their Fiat Panda to use while they're away. I haven't touched the steering wheel for numerous reasons, including that it's a stick shift, the narrow, windy roads here terrify me, and I hate driving anyway. Alan wasn't a super star at driving a manual car when he was first driving around here, but he's gotten pretty good at it during our trips to the supermarket, the little lake nearby, and the house of friends of our hosts.

Go, Panda, go!
There's not too much worth mentioning in Maratea. It has a few small piazzas and nice views, but the most memorable aspect of the city is the giant statue of Jesus on a mountain above. We were told that it is the second highest statue in the world or something. Woohoo. It was worth checking out, though. We had a pleasant picnic at Jesus' feet, overlooking the sea, the city, and the autumnal-colored mountains.

Oh, did I mention that I wore a SUMMER DRESS on November the second!
I take it all back, Mediterranean sun. I love you.

We popped down to the pebbly beach too. We had come down here with our hosts the day before they had left for the U.K., but it had been POURING rain. It was a much more pleasant day this go-round.

Blue, blue, blue, warm water

No comments:

Post a Comment