Friday, November 4, 2011

Meet the 'pacas

Meet the faces behind the poop we scoop!
Milo: The most attractive alpaca, I think. Check out his coloring and his curly-top head!
He's also the biggest, and makes sure he stays that way by fighting everyone for food. 
Gandalf. Check out his freckly face!
Henry: The friendly one (my favorite!). I've gotten in a hug or two.
Enzo: The strong one. These two are the littlest guys in the boys' paddock,
but Enzo is the only alpaca who has succeeded in pulling me down into a face plant.
We don't know everyone's names, honestly, but we call this alpaca Apple
because we caught her snarfing one whole. This is NOT the little girl we had to
force to vomit, surprisingly.
Nicola: The brave one. She's always the first to approach us.
Champagne: The aloof alpaca who often gets away when we're trying to herd the ladies together.
She's also the mother of baby Roberto.
Roberto: The ugly one.
He's the baby we have to chase around to cloak him and put ointment on his
pink parts so the fleece grows back. He's getting better!

This video is of White Tuxedo: The noisy one.
He's not distressed, I promise. He makes this noise all of the time.
He's also the oldest alpaca here, at 14 years.

Our hosts have two types of alpacas: the surrey and the huacaya. Huacayas are the fluffy guys I always thought of as alpacas (Milo, Gandalf, Henry, Enzo, Apple). Surreys (everyone else pictured) have slightly longer hair - just enough to loose that cotton-ball look. From my observations, they make more noise than the huacayas. They're also more difficult to breed, we're told. I like huacayas way better.

2 comments:

  1. I think the alpacas might be my favorite part of your whole trip to Europe.

    ReplyDelete